The Granary/Old Customs House 1809-1814
The Customs House in Buitenkant Street was completed in 1814, and later used as a granary. In 1824 it was converted to be the Caledon Police Court and used for that purpose until the 1920’s. This is one of Cape Town’s most interesting buildings. The entrance is approached by a double stairway, and the pediment enriched with a fine freely sculptured British coat-of-arms.
At the corners of the building, on the skyline, are the seated figures of Britannia and Neptune, the work of Anton Anreith. It is possible that the original design of the building was by Louis Thibault.