St Andrews Church

At this time, the Reverend Dr. John Philip arrived in 1819 as the chief resident representative of the London Missionary Society. He was to be the centre of much controversy concerning the treatment of the Coloured people, the Hottentots, and other related matters.

On the 1st of January 1820, Father P. Scully of the Roman Catholic Church arrived to minister to the adherents of his faith here. During the previous year Earl Bathurst had consented to requests by the Catholics of Cape Town that they be permitted to erect a church and enjoy the ministrations of a priest of their own. The Burgher Senate granted land off Harrington Street for the construction of a church. In 1822 Cape Town’s first Methodist Chapel was opened in Burg Street and in October 1827, the foundation stone was laid of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Somerset Road.

Built in 1827 by Henry Reveley the son of Henry Willey Reveley, a leading English architect and an enthusiast for Greek architecture. St. Andrew’s Church, designed in the Greek Revival manner, was his major architectural design: it is a solid, rectangular building, with a plain interior and a gallery supported on cast iron columns, large enough to seat eight hundred people. The most interesting part of the design is the tall, slightly projecting Doric portico consisting of two close columns on either side of an entrance doorway, supporting a correctly detailed entablature and pediment. Doric pilasters enclose the ends of the main facade.

Comments are closed.